Chia was derived from the Mayan word “strength” and has been eaten for over 5,000 years. Chia Seeds comes from a plant also called ‘salvia hispanica.’ It’s considered a superfood. Chia Seeds are now sold at major supermarkets and health food stores.
What are the health benefits of Chia Seeds?
- Omega 3’s – good for protection again inflammation, arthritis, and heart disease.. Chia seeds contain more Omega 3’s than salmon!
- Antioxidant rich– protect the body from aging & cancer
- Feel fuller faster – The seeds absorbs 10X their weight in water, which makes you feel satisfied longer. It helps reduce cravings between meals.
- Lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels – increase “good” cholesterol
- Controls blood sugar regulation – great for people with diabetes.
Chia seeds are grown south of the equator in Australia, and are free from chemical pesticides. Perfect for yogurts, smoothies, salads, and baked goods. It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids & omega-6, fiber, and protein. Christa Alexis recommends Trader Joe’s Chia Seeds for only $4.99!